I eat so terribly. Should I consult a nutritionist or a dietitian?


I will try to be succinct. I am of average weight and love to exercise. My problem is that I eat so terribly. An example of my eating habits:

7 AM 2 cups decaf coffee

10 AM 1 cup decaf coffee and yogurt

12 PM 1 cup pasta with a diet coke

3 PM chocolate, chips or pretzels, any junk

evening cookies, crackers, cheese, snacks

Once in a while, I’ll make microwave nachos, eat pizza or tomato soup. I know that I have to eat better, but I’m so picky. I tried to narrow down all the foods that I enjoy and build a diet around this, but it comes down to chocolate, tomatoes, and cheese. It’s ridiculous. Should I consult a nutritionist or is it a dietitian? Thanks.

You have narrowed your food choices down to so few foods that you are missing many nutrients. Yew, I would suggest you go see a dietitian who can assist you with a meal plan that includes your likes and is nutritionally complete.

I would suggest a dietitian. A dietitian has at least a bachelor’s degree in nutrition, completed an internship/work experience and passed a nationally certifying exam by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Dietitians are also required to take continuing education courses to continue their national registration. A nutritionist usually has a Master’s degree in Nutrition, but may not be a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Unfortunately, many persons with an interest, but no formal nutrition education often call themselves nutritionists.