I have a bachelor’s degree in Home Economics Education. Can you help me find a school for dietitians?

I hope you can help me. I have a BS (Bachelor of Science) degree in Home Economics Education. I am interested in going back to school to become a dietitian. However, I am having a hard time finding a university that still certifies in that area. I live near San Antonio, Texas. Please help if you can.

I am 43 years old and have been teaching for the last 18 years and am ready to change careers. I had originally planned to be a dietitian, but got married and changed to education. I would appreciate any advice or help you could give me. Thank you.

Nutrition courses in Home Economics programs would probably fulfill your dietitian college credits. However, a lot has changed in nutrition in 18 years so expect to take clinical dietetics courses at least. The focus of nutrition has changed from disease treatment to disease prevention and wellness. I would suggest getting a master’s degree in dietetics or nutrition that includes either an internship or a supervised practice.

You can read about the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’s accredited education programs. There are three options to become a dietitian � coordinated programs that include a dietetic internship, didactic programs that confer a college degree that would require you to apply for a dietetic internship and individualized supervised practice pathways
. You can also read about a career change.

You may also want to review entry and experienced level salaries for dietitians. Every couple of years the Academy surveys its members regarding their area of practice, years of experience and salary information. It has been published in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics every two to three years. You can buy a copy of Compensation and Benefits Survey of the Dietetics Profession or look at the salary ranges