I graduated as a dietitian from a university in Turkey. What do I have to do to work as a dietitian in the US?

I have graduated this year as a dietitian from a university in Turkey. At the moment I am studying Masters of Science in International Nutrition and Food Processing.

While I was searching on the Internet I came across your website. I have been always interested in a dietitian’s job in the United States. Thus I have always wanted to gain an experience there. Can you please tell me what I have to do in order to work as a dietitian either voluntarily or paid in the U.S.? Thank you.

In the US, you need a 4-year degree in nutrition or dietetics, a 9 – 12-month internship (internships have to be approved by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics) and successful passing of a national registration test that is offered every April and October. Or you can get a masters degree with a preplanned practical experience to complete the degree and internship requirements, but you would still have to take the national registration test.

I would suggest contacting the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Go to their website section on becoming an RD / DTR (Dietetic Technician Registered). To practice in the US, you would need to become registered. The Academy has reciprocity with a few countries including Ireland so check if Turkey has reciprocity with the Academy.

Many states in the U.S. license who can call themselves a dietitian or nutritionist or provide nutrition / dietetic services. As to volunteering, I would suggest you again talk to the Academy (612-877-1600, press 0 for the operator). Perhaps you could intern in the U.S. which would also allow you to take the registration test.