How do I find a registered dietitian in my area that specializes in type 2 diabetics?

What is the best way to find a registered dietitian in my area that specializes in diets for type 2 (?) diabetics? What questions or qualifications should one ask or be on the lookout for? What, if any, additional training should such a person have and is there any “certification” standards associated with this training?

Overweight persons are more resistant to their own insulin and need to produce more insulin to effectively metabolize glucose in body cells. If your friend were to lose weight, her tolerance of glucose would improve. Even if a person limits their sugar intake though, excess calories can contribute to an above-normal blood glucose levels.

Usually, a low-fat diet is recommended as part Look in your yellow or white pages of the phone book under dietitian. Your state or city dietetic association should be listed. Call them. Or you can call the clinic or hospital where your physician practices and ask to talk to a registered dietitian (RD). You can find a dietitian at the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’s Find a Registered Dietitian and search for dietitians who have expertise in diabetes. Dietitians are trained in medical nutrition therapy and your health insurance company (including Medicare) probably covers seeing a dietitian for diabetes education.

Dietitians who specialize in diabetes education will have a CDE (Certified Diabetes Educator) after their name. These certified dietitians should be very capable at working with people who have either type1 (insulin dependent) or type 2 (non-insulin dependent) diabetes. Diabetes educators take continuing education credits to stay certified.

A great source of diabetes educational materials is the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the American Diabetes Association or International Diabetes Center in Minneapolis Minnesota.