I must express my thanks for the time you took to provide a very complete, unusually sophisticated and extremely helpful answer to my e-mail of 1/26. Do you know anyone in the Philadelphia area (in either or both specialties) whom you might personally feel willing and able to recommend? In any event, once again, thanks!


    Have you considered referring yourself to a registered dietitian for weight counseling / meal planning and an exercise physiologist for exercise / strength training?

    You’re welcome. Weight change (+ or -) is actually rather complicated and unfortunately unless well planned often leads to failure. So, I would recommend a 1-month weight goal, a calorie goal to achieve 1 to 2-pound weight loss per week, meal plan for an eating guide, exercise program to increase aerobic endurance and build muscle and lastly keep food and exercise records to document your progress. Keep coming back to the Healthy Body Calculator® for a calorie assessment as your weight changes. Hey, you were active once, you can do it again. Besides, you have your gender on your side. It is not as easy for women you age to turn their weight and fitness around!

    You can go to the Find a Registered Dietitian on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics . You should be able to find a dietitian in your area that can read your medical chart, talk to you face to face and design a meal plan that includes your food preferences. If you don’t find someone at ADA’s web site, call a clinic or hospital near you and ask to talk to a dietitian. They know who the best would be to address your needs. I don’t know anyone in Philadelphia area in clinical or private practice. I mostly know techies. I don’t work with individuals long term by email at this time due to contracts I currently have with my company’s clients. What you need is a nutrition guide since you can monitor yourself.

    Don’t know an exercise physiologist either, but you can search American College of Sports Medicine at http://www.a1.com/sportsmed/ Their phone is on their web site and perhaps they can direct you or look up exercise physiologist in your yellow pages. Stick with an educated and trained professional so you don’t injure yourself or your knees. Don’t know if a certified fitness trainer or physical therapist would be as appropriate to design an aerobic / strength training program, but they would be other possibilities. With your medical training, you should be able to evaluate their credentials.

    Best wishes and thanks for the feedback.