I have been searching the net for an explanation of the new food guide My Plate, but cannot find a thing about it. I was familiar with the 4 basic food groups and want to understand this NEW way of looking at nutrition. Can you help out?
The food guide My Plate is a tool used to teach people to eat a balanced diet from a variety of food portions without counting calories or any other nutrient. The USDA expanded the four food groups to six and expanded the number of servings to meet the calorie needs of most persons.
- 3 to 5 servings of vegetables
- 2 to 4 servings of fruits
- 2 to 3 servings of milk, yogurt & cheese
- 6 to 11 servings of bread, cereal, rice, & pasta
- 2 to 3 servings of meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs & nuts
- use fats, oils & sweets sparingly
Ask for the food guide My Plate. Home and Garden Bulletin Number 252. You can send for a copy of the food guide My Plate at:
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
1120 20th Street, NW, Suite 200N
Washington, DC 20036